Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hills

Some dread going on the freeway. Who wants to be in the midst of gridlock traffic, or conversely, that guy who just won't quit tailgating? I am jubilant at the thought of getting on the freeway because of something completely unrelated to driving. While other people are focusing on trivialities like paying attention to the road, I am taking in the expansive beauty of the hills on both sides of the freeway. I am so fortunate to see this inspiring and magnificent view, yet I am saddened by the fact that these hills are, by and large, private property. I've dreamt of walking among the hills, laying down, and absorbing their perfection. I love when the sun hits the hills when they're green. It livens their dimensions with patches of light and shadow, making my view more vivid. I'm also spellbound by the blackness of the hills at night. I could wander the undulating terrain and never feel lost; I could fall asleep in the peace of darkness and not feel afraid.

An old cement factory sits atop a hill near my house. I've always wanted to explore that hill, and I even wrote a letter to its owner when I was a little girl. He rejected my request. Now I'm limited to roaming the hills in my mind while I'm driving down the freeway.

3 comments:

Flo said...

I love the hills in Solano and Contra Costa when they're green, which is also unfortunately only in the winter/spring, so it's usually too cold to go frolicking. By the time it *is* warm, the grass has gone back to dry yellow from the inferno that is the Californian summer :) We should take freshly baked cookies up and meet the cement factory owner, that way he couldn't threaten us with his shot gun for getting too close. :P

bryn said...

i think you should take a chance one day and attempt to explore the hills on foot. the worst anyone could do is inform you of your trespassing ... or maybe have you arrested ... but at least you could say you've done it :)

Needs Help said...

You're so lucky to live in such a beautiful area! Glad you appreciate it :)